Mechanical Engineer II (R&D)
Personnel Requisition No. 18-0259
Bartell Machinery Systems is a global leader in providing highly-engineered industrial manufacturing equipment for the Tire & Rubber, Oil & Gas, and Wire & Cable industries. An ISO 9001:2008 certified company, Bartell has delivered innovative solutions to leading manufacturers since our founding in 1940, with over 8,500 machines now installed worldwide. We offer the industry’s most advanced and proven tire bead machinery, systems for producing sub-sea oil & gas flexible pipe, and innovative wire & cable machines. Our products are fully designed and rigorously tested to optimize safety, production efficiency, operational reliability, and maximized asset lifecycle. We pride ourselves on setting new standards for quality, performance, and value in every machine we build. With generations of industry knowledge and engineering design experience coupled with our world-class sales and technical service network, Bartell’s employees are dedicated to providing you with state-of-the-art technologies capable of meeting your most advanced production needs. Please see application instructions at the bottom of this page to apply.
Position: Mechanical Engineer II (R&D)
Location/Department: Rome, New York / Engineering
This position is a member of the Engineering Department. The Mechanical Engineer II will report directly to the Project Team Leader Mechanical Engineering R&D.
- As R&D Engineer, you will be responsible for developing and improving a vast range of highly sophisticated automated manufacturing industrial machines. The role requires a variety of technical skills ranging from mechanical designs, automation system integration, and a basic understanding of process controls. You will be responsible for delivering short and long-term projects that will consist of designing new products or re-design existing products, Interfacing with customers to develop leading edge designs, cost effective manufacturing while paying close attention to safety details, and being responsible for the greatest levels of design integrity. Guidance will generally be provided by a Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer and/or Mechanical Project Team Leader across any functional Group.
Individual role within the team
- Utilize the most current design techniques and tools
- 3D Model Designs, Part Details and Bill of Materials must be accurate
- Short & Long-term projects must be done in a timely manner
- Designs must be in compliance with all safety requirements
- Assure products meet design intent
- Apply analytical methods for problem solving to make evidence based technical decisions that are safe, functional, cost effective and validated, drive new innovation and assist in patents
- Develop creative Intellectual property (IP) by being diverse and inventive
- Assist in set-up, commissioning and diagnostics of products
- Assure product is “as designed”, proper revision control
- Review requests for deviations and non-conforming product
- Understand and follow all Engineering ISO 9001 work instructions and procedures
- Actively participant in team meetings, conceptual & design reviews, machine reviews, kick-off & sign-off meetings
- Interact with other departments including but not limited to, Manufacturing, TSS, Sales and Purchasing
- Enable on-time project completion by using appropriate resources effectively
- Obtain and analyses information from diverse sources to provide a solution
- Ensure quality outcomes and encourage adherence to procedures
- Share information and assist others to adapt to a changing environment
- Document and maintain accurate records
Productive working relationships
- Share information, ensuring others are kept informed
- Treat people with respect and courtesies, recognizing the needs of others
- Acknowledge differences of opinions and value diversity
- Trusting the people, you work with, lends itself to being open and honest in your thoughts and actions.
Personal drive and integrity
- Contribute to business via representation in internal and external forms i.e. SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, Office 365
- Focus on achieving objectives safely and accurately
- Adhere to, codes of conduct, security & safety guidelines, Mission Statement, and Guiding Principles
- Be aware of your own performance and its impact on others
- Identify risk, undertake risk assessments and manage it accordingly
- Negotiate confidently in clear and concise mannerism
- Listen to others and clarify issues to ensure mutual understanding
- Identify and convey information to engage participants, both orally and in writing
- Prepare documents clearly and report concisely using a variety of different mediums
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (BS) or (BT) technical degree and relevant experience in machine design or relevant industrial experience and proven performance.
- 10 years relevant experience in Mech./Elec. Machine design with proven performance.
Technical Skills or Knowledge / Experience
- Practical knowledge in mechanical design, including machinery designs
- 3D CAD SolidWorks experience – or other equivalent 3D software
- Strong working knowledge to produce detailed drawing in SolidWorks using GD&T to the standard ASME Y14.5 – 2009 with 3-5 years of experience
- Skilled in SolidWorks FEA Simulation
- Knowledge in systematic engineering design process to meet functional requirements required
- Computer skills must be proficient and exceptional
- 5+ years of experience in automated machine design
- Familiar with MRP and SAP type software used for generating Bills of Material
- Knowledge in ISO 9001 Quality assurance systems in a manufacturing production environment
- Hands on experience using conventional metal manufacturing equipment, machine / mechanic assembly hand tools, and precision measuring devices
Domestic & international travel when required 15-20%
For consideration, candidates must meet the minimum qualifications shown and have a verifiable record of experience in the field applied for.
Please complete the application for employment – linked here
Bartell requires pre-employment testing, drug screening, physical and background check.
BARTELL MACHINERY SYSTEMS, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.
6321 Elmer Hill Rd Rome, NY 13440 ● www.bartellmachinery.com ● 315-336-7600